August 14, 2019
Most homeless have learned to survive on the street by staying on the move during the day, out of sight at night, and, as a last resort, trusting a stranger. Experts believe that on average, it can take 15 to 20 contacts with a homeless person before he or she accepts an offer of help. Speaking on this evening will be Rita Crabtree-Kampe on ways to connect with the homeless we encounter. Rita chairs MB SAFE’s Homeless Connect committee and will be discussing:
• Outreach to the homeless in our community and the “Real Change Not Spare Change” program and philosophy.
• How to judge a situation when encountering the homeless to determine if the person is approachable.
• Treating the homeless with dignity.
• What does compassionate outreach look like?
• What resources are available to help and how to access them.
• How can we all help?
All are welcome to attend!
For additional information and to RSVP, visit the Eventbrite page at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/mbsafe-homeless-connect-training-information-tickets-65267013394.
American Martyr’s Welcome Center is located at 700 15 Street, Manhattan Beach, CA 90266.