February 8, 2020
Kinecta Federal Credit Union has announced its highly anticipated 2020 Youth Scholarships and Teaching Grants for Growth program.
Beginning February 1 through March 1, 2020, eligible students and teachers can apply at https://www.kinecta.org/youth-scholarships/ and https://www.kinecta.org/teaching-grants/. Eight $2,000 scholarships will be awarded to help full-time students make higher education a reality, and six $2,000 grants will be given to teachers to help them bolster instruction and classroom projects.
All applications and supporting documents must be received by March 1, 2020, and Kinecta Scholarships and Teaching Grant winners will be announced on or around May 31, 2020. To date, Kinecta has awarded more than $208,000 to help 93 students to make higher education a reality and has helped 19 teachers to purchase supplies or fund classroom projects through its “Youth Scholarships and Teaching Grants for Grow” program.
“Kinecta Federal Credit Union is dedicated to helping young adults reach their academic goals and teachers enhance their classroom offerings,” said Latrice McGlothin, Community Engagement Officer, Kinecta. “In 2019, we received more than 200 submissions from prospective students and over 70 submissions from teachers. We are proud to offer eight $2,000 scholarships to full-time students and six $2,000 grants to pre-K to 12th-grade teachers this year!”
Eligible applicants should be:
· 24 years of age of younger at time of application
· A high school senior applying for, or already accepted as, a full-time student at an accredited college or university, OR a full-time student attending and continuing at an accredited college or university.
Teachers Grants are open to:
· Pre-K to 12th-grade teachers certified in their state of residence, as well as home-school teachers
· Only ONE grant will be awarded per teacher, although there is no limit to the number of applications an individual may submit.
· Recipients must use grant funds to purchase supplies and/or fund a classroom project.
Evaluation and Selection Criteria
Students Scholarships: Eligible applicants must submit a written essay (minimum 1,000 words). Essay question: What do you consider your greatest success? And why do you consider it your greatest success.
Applications will be scored based on the following criteria:
· Essay – 40%
· Community Involvement – 20%
· GPA – 15% (transcripts required)
· Awards & Achievements – 10%
· Extracurricular Activities – 10%
· SAT or equivalent – 5% (transcripts required)
Teachers Grants will be awarded based on the information provided in the application. Several factors will be taken into consideration, including financial need, number of students impacted and project creativity.
For additional information about Kinecta Scholarships,visit the website at https://www.kinecta.org/youth-scholarships/.